Role of a Care Worker
Care workers provide dedicated support for an older person who wishes to continue living in their own home. This could include help with personal care, for example, washing and dressing. Care workers will often help with domestic duties and provide companionship. Care Workers help support the individual to remain as independent as possible to live in their own home and have access to the local community.
Main duties and responsibilities of a care worker:
- Providing personal care, including showering, baths, shaving and oral hygiene.
- Supporting people with mobility issues and transfers using appropriate equipment.
- Preparation of daily meals and support with feeding and hydration.
- Supporting and administering medication as per the company’s policies and procedures.
- Domestic care, to include housework, laundry, ironing and shopping tasks.
- To provide social care to clients, to include maintaining links with family and friends, paying bills, collecting prescriptions and other social activities.
- To provide general care, including emergency assistance, promotion of independence and the prevention of loneliness.
- To complete written reports of completed tasks after each visit and record all observations and medication.
- Maintaining confidentiality.
- Report concerns on the health and wellbeing of the client.
As well as looking after the elderly, care workers also look after people with learning difficulties, mental health conditions and physical difficulties.
What skills do you need to be a care worker?
You do not need a specific qualification to begin a career in care. You just need to be caring, helpful, kind towards others and be a good listener and communicator.
A care worker will respect a person’s privacy and dignity at all times. They will maintain confidentiality and treat & support people with the same regard they would want for themselves and their relatives.
If you want to make all the difference to someone’s life and wellbeing, apply to be a care worker at Oxford House Community Care - Home Care Provider covering Slough, Maidenhead and Windsor.